Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Moka Cake and Bastille Day


Fireworks at the Eiffel Tower were amazing, but I didn't get one good photo. Just google it to see how beautiful it was. I did get some video, but haven't figured out how to download it yet. Maybe this weekend, I have a written exam this Friday, so I might not be blogging a ton this week. I just realized that this is a 20 day class -- squished into 17, so the word Intensive is very appropriate for this format.

I made a Moka cake (Mocha) Monday and started dough for croissants that we will finish today. The Moka was my favorite dessert so far. Basic sponge cake, soaked with coffee-flavored imbibing syrup. Coffee Buttercream and chopped almonds finished it. Twenty years ago, I made a similar cake from Julia Child's The Way To Cook, and thought that she made up imbibing syrup! To me, at 17, it just seemed like a funny way to say flavored sugar syrup.

I have to be at school soon for our class photo, I wish I could figure out how to turn on the iron, my hat is looking very sad.


3 comments:

  1. This looks really yummy and I'm not even a dessert or chocolate person (I know you want to block me now from reading your blog, but please don't).

    Good luck with your upcoming exam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. I don't like chocolate either and she still likes me. :)

    Well, to be clear, I don't dislike chocolate, I just never crave it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sponge cake infused with coffee flavored something? My husband would LOVE that!

    So is imbibing syrup significantly different from the "simply syrup" that most bar books tell you how to make? (1 part sugar, 1 part water, I think)

    ReplyDelete

Google Analytics