Wednesday, July 22, 2009

A couple of funny things about my apartment



It is telling about the French or maybe about my landlord and his assorted tenants.

Here are the contents the china cabinet in this apartment:

26 white wine glasses
5 champagne flutes
12 red white glasses (i use for white bc they are bigger and less likely to topple over onto my computer as I drink and blog)
3 water pitchers
6 tiny juice glasses
4 mugs - one is marked "Star Trek"
2 cafe au lait mugs - I use them everyday for my huge morning tea
2 bowls, and plenty of plates.

Yes, 43 wine glasses, for an apartment that has a maximum capacity of 12 people.

Oddly, the pillowcases have cats on them. And not just any cats, but creepy cartoon cats wearing sneakers. This I really don't understand. After a few restless nights, I put them into the cabinet where they can't cause feline-related nightmares. If you are coming to visit, you might want to bring a pillowcase (this means you, Nancy), or you will be sleeping with Irvin or Nigel - I don't like those cats, but I named them anyway.

The toilet room sink - the bathroom and toilet room are on opposites sides of the apartment - is extremely small and resembles a urinal. It is probably the only sink that would fit, but I find myself walking across the apartment to wash my hands. The toilet works fine, which is not always true for Paris apartments, but I can't seem to get the hang of it. Don't read this next sentence if you are grossed out with toilet talk. I need to sit more forward, but I can't seem to remember this, so I have to clean skidmarks off back of the bowl every morning. Such a little thing, but I promise my visitors that I take pride in the pristine condition of that bowl, no scary surprises. And I promise not to post any photos of my mistakes.

Scott, my landlord, reads this blog, so I hope he doesn't mind, but these things continually crack me up.

3 comments:

  1. Having stayed in this apartment, this post made me laugh out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hadn't thought the cats were that freaky, but now that you've put the idea in my head, I'll probably not be able to sleep with them either.

    Yes, there are quite a few wine glasses, but if you have a dozen people over, a different wine with every course, then you'll use 'em all. The real issue is how many can you get in the dishwasher.

    I think more revealing than the contents of the cupboard would be an analysis of the bookshelves. Remember, most of what's up there are from former tenants, although I have my share of contributions. But if it was one individual, what would you think of this bi-lingual, well traveled, foodie, marxist, with a love for romance novels and cardiology?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you need to drink that much wine to feel comfortable sleeping with sneaker-wearing cats. Just my take on it :)

    ReplyDelete

Google Analytics