Tuesday, April 21, 2009

I hope they don't have self-checkout in Paris

The new manager at the CVS in Bethesda is always trying to get me to use the self check-out, and I don't like it in English, so how am I ever going to do it in French?  I am fairly comfortable with technology, but I hate self check-out.  Cashiers ring people up 8 hours a day, they are good at it, why should I have to swipe my own card, when they are going to be much more efficient.  Luckily, I think most pharmacies in Europe still have most stuff behind the counter, so this is one thing I don't have to worry about.

The new guy at CVS is loud, and he asks people when they walk in the door if he can help them find anything.  I like customer service, but I don't want to have to tell him that I need tampons, or anal suppositories.  I don't use them, this is just an example of something that most people might not want to mention in front of the customers lined up at the register - and there is ALWAYS a line at my CVS. Maybe I should tell him that at the same volume he uses, and see if he even gets flustered.  What other 'unmentionables' could I embarrass myself requesting?  Soon, I will probably be complaining that the people at Parisian pharmacies are so rude, they won't even acknowledge my presence.  One more thing to check back for in June!

1 comment:

  1. I have to admit I'm a sometimes fan of self-checkout. When I remember to bring my own bags, for example (ooh -- make a note to bring your own bags in Foreign!), I want to ring myself up. I can pack my own bags WAY better than any cashier. On the other hand, if I have a lot of produce, I want THEM to ring in all the codes. They know 'em, for pete's sake!

    ReplyDelete

Google Analytics